[Asterisk-Users] internet bandwidth

Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) Seshu.Kanuri at morganstanley.com
Thu Nov 18 08:47:06 MST 2004

/SNIP/
Some corrections are needed: 6.3kbps of G723.1 will become around 17kbps
on the IP level without silence suppression because of the additional
overhead imposed by protocols like RTP, IP, etc . If you add the
Ethernet (or WAN protocol overhead) this will increase even more
(although slightly).

Similarly, a voice stream of G729 at 8kbps will become around 24kbps on
the IP level, and slightly more on the Ethernet or ppp level (around 25
kbps).

So, for 20 channels of 6.3kbps G723.1, you will need around 340 kbps on
the IP level without silence suppression.

For 20 channels with G729, you will need around 480 kbps.

And of course, these calculations apply both ways (upstream &
downstream).

If you chose IAX instead of SIP, you will save lots of bandwidth if all
(or most) of those 20 calls are directed to the same host.

Best regards,
Vlasis.

/SNIP/

Above calculations by Vlasis appears accurate, based on our experience.
These are the calcualtions many of our clients are experiencing.

Seshu Kanuri