[Asterisk-Users] Polycom IP 300 PoE? Sipura instead?

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Thu Nov 18 07:51:23 MST 2004

>> I'm ordering some more phones - I have the Polycom IP 500's now and I
>> like them.  I need some less expensive phones, and I'd like to stay
>> with all Polycoms for ease of administration.  I've heard, though,
>> that
>> the IP 300's don't support PoE even though their brochures say they
>> do.
>>   Has anybody have firsthand experience with them?  Is this true?
>
> Yep. They have no onboard POE chip, hence the reduced cost. Polycom
> gets
> away saying they support POE by selling you at $40 cable that contains
> either a Cisco or 802.3af compliant dongle.

Well, that's good to know.  At $40 bucks a pop, the total price with
the phone is still cheaper than the competition for the 500, but that
makes the 300 rather unattractive in comparison to some other phones.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good, simple 2 line SIP phone that
supports PoE?  Has anybody seen the Sipura SPA-841 yet?  Will it
support PoE?  Does the Zultys Zip2 support PoE?