[Asterisk-Users] Call Status

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Thu Nov 18 01:17:47 MST 2004

Shaun Tierney wrote:
> When I use the Dial command to connect a call using my Asterisk PBX, it
> seems that the PBX says that the call was answered right when the two
> channels are bridged together, rather than when the actually callee answers
> their phone.  I would like to be able to detect the actual call status and
> respond to it in the dialplan.  ${DIALSTATUS} just seems to tell me whether
> or not the channel answered rather than the actual callee, so it equals
> "ANSWER" every time I dial because the bridge is automatic.  Is there any
> command or variable out there that will allow me to determine the actual
> call status?

It's not the Dial command or Asterisk. I'm willing to be you are dialing
an outside line, right?

Well, on analog lines it can sometime happens that from your PBX point
of view the phone line is being answered by a switch or pbx on the other
side which continues to send "dialing" sounds down the line until the
other side actually answers.

For a simple analog phone it doesn't matter - you simply hear "ring
sounds" until someone answers. But for PBX equipment it's a problem -
there is no way [1] for Asterisk to know that the line hasn't really
been answered yet.

Gilad

[1] Well, I lied - there is a way, which is the "callprogress" feature.
it's far from perfect (or in some states, working) though. Look for
"callprogress" on voip-info.org

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <gilad at codefidence.com>
Codefidence. A name you can trust(tm)
Web: http://codefidence.com  | SIP: gilad at pbx.codefidence.com
Tel: +972.9.8650475 ext. 201 | Fax:  +972.9.8850643

"I am Jack's Overwritten Stack Pointer"
	-- Hackers Club, the movie