[Asterisk-Users] How to generate "ringing tone" to a calling party.

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Nov 17 23:31:39 MST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Daniel wrote:

> >On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 12:05, Chad Scott wrote:
> >You *can* play a welcome message without >answering the line, however,
> >this doesn't always work. eg, I tried this >config on my PRI in Australia
> >(Telstra) and:
> >
> >a) Calling from a standard analog line I got my >welcome message as
> >expected
> >b) Calling from a mobile (Optus), I heard >silence until the call was
> >answered.
>
> From the point of view of Telcos, situation "a" is not "as expected". If
> this occurs you could transmit a message without paying for the call. Of
> course it will be one-way but it will be useful. Imagine, you should set a
> short message (for about 1 minute) informing everything you want!

And that is exactly how the audio on isdn works in many places. The
reverse audio path (from the called user to the caller) is opened as soon
as possible. The caller is thus able to supply in band audio call progress
information in addition to the isdn signalling. This allows e.g. custom
ringing tones ("Paging Peter, Paging Peter"), custom busy messages etc
without charging the caller.

The best place to generate ringing signals is at the last hop before the
actual called phone. All earlier stages should cut through the audio from
the last hop.

This means that if asterisk calls an extension line (analog card, sip
phone etc) it should generate ringing while if it calls another pbx (via
eg. a pri) it should not. And guess what? Asterisk already supports all
this! Use the 'r' option to the dial command where appropriate.

Peter