[Asterisk-Users] OT: Why "encrypted" config files

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Nov 17 17:52:07 MST 2004

Off topic, but this seems like a good place to ask :)

Why do vendors think it is in their best interest to encrypt device config
files and then restrict access to the tools to create the config files?

If I made a product, I'd be "bending over backwards" to make sure
everybody who wanted my product could use it.

I bought a Grandstream BT102 only to find out that they wanted $30,000 for
the configuration tool. After a bit of begging, they sent me a "30 day"
version for evaluation. Thank goodness somebody on the list wrote a better
tool.

I bought a Sipura SPA-3000, again, only to find out that I need the
configuration tool. Unfortunately, they only give this out to resellers
and large customers. Again, a bit of begging prevailed, but I'm
bewildered.

I'm sitting in a data center surrounded with probably close to $1,000,000
of big cisco's, Junipers, switches, print servers, etc.

Why is a "clear ASCII text" file good enough for "real networking gear?"

If "they" get it, why don't VOIP vendors?

Thanks in advance,