[Asterisk-Users] Possible to display which extensions are in use on the phone's display?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Nov 17 14:03:12 MST 2004

On November 17, 2004 02:49 pm, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> And it seems to be something the developers are not interested in
> supporting. Whenever someone asks about this feature they are normally
> told that this is a feature of small-office "key" systems and that
> Asterisk has its sights set on bigger systems so this functionality is not
> pursued.

I just upgraded a Norstar MICS from 12 analog trunk lines to a PRI (other end
being Asterisk) -- we lost all line appearances as well.  When using digital
lines the density is generally understood to be too great to have line
appearances.  Indeed the concept of a telephone "line" is no longer valid --
you have voice channels that can be any telephone line or number.

Perhaps a better idea is to have extension appearances (similar to a CAP
module) and a number of parking slot appearances.  This, IMO, is far more
worthy of development work, as it scales much better.  Call pickup still
works from any phone in the pickupgroup, so picking up a ringing line should
not be any different.

-A.