[Asterisk-Users] PowerEdge 17500 with TDM400P - 4 FXO -- NMI, loud noise when dialing out

Andrei (MPI) asterisk at markovprocesses.com
Wed Nov 17 12:44:58 MST 2004

Hello All,

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions how to
resolve the following situation. My configuration is:
- Dell PowerEdge 1750 (standard), one CPU Xeon 3.0GHz
- TDM400P with 4 FXO, connected to 4 regular phone lines (PSTN)
- Asterisk 1.0.0 from cvs
- Zaptel and Zapata latest from cvs
- Debian 3.0 Woodoo / compiled kernel 2.4.27

Initially Asterisk works fine for a few hours, hard and soft phones are
able to dial out and receive calls from outside. In about 6-8 hours,
when I would try to dial out  from any extension through Zap/1 ... Zap/4
(I have group #1 defined) I would hear continuous loud noise for 20
seconds - then silence. Call stays connected but apparently TDM400P is
not even picks up the line to dial. No sounds could be heard after that.
Repeat dials for any number of times - same thing.

What would fix this: either restart of the whole server or shutdown
asterisk, then rmmod wctdm; rmmod zaptel; modprobe wctdm. Though, in a
few hours after modules are restarted I have the same situation - loud
noise on dial out and no rings detected on inbound calls.

BTW, when on wctdm module load NMI would always occur, though the server
and card works fine after that:

Module 0: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
You probably have a hardware problem with your RAM chips
Module 1: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Module 2: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Module 3: Installed -- AUTO FXO (FCC mode)
Found a Wildcard TDM: Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F (4 modules)
Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)
Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)

Here is some more information about the server:

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:     781301          0    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:          6          0    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
 15:          5          0    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:     311577          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0
 17:      86308          0   IO-APIC-level  eth1
 18:      11391          0   IO-APIC-level  megaraid
 20:    7797642          0   IO-APIC-level  wctdm
NMI:          1          0
LOC:     781160     781115
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

So it is not interrupts problem. Tried to move Digium card in a
different PCI slot (#2 now) and changing IRQ in Bios, loaded the kernel
with pci=noacpi, and nothing would help.

# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0014 (rev
33)
00:00.1 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device
0014
00:00.2 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device
0014
00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev
27)
00:0f.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks CSB5 South Bridge (rev
93)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: ServerWorks CSB5 IDE Controller (rev
93)
00:0f.2 USB Controller: ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5 OHCI USB Controller (rev
05)
00:0f.3 ISA bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device
0225
00:10.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0110 (rev
12)
00:10.2 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0110 (rev
12)
00:11.0 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0101 (rev
05)
00:11.2 Host bridge: ServerWorks: Unknown device 0101 (rev
05)
01:04.0 Network controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Model 300
128k
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: BROADCOM Corporation: Unknown device 1648
(rev 02)
02:00.1 Ethernet controller: BROADCOM Corporation: Unknown device 1648
(rev 02)
04:03.0 RAID bus controller: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device
000f (rev
02)

Please help! I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. zaptel.conf
and zapata.conf are standard taken from samples on voip-info.org for
card with 4 FXOs.

Sincerely,
Andrei