[Asterisk-Users] SS7 for *

Kevin Brennan kevin.brennan at redsquared.com
Wed Nov 17 03:20:46 MST 2004

In simple terms SS7 is the suite of protocols used by all major networks for
interconnecting their 'real' telephone exchanges. There are many telecomms
platforms which only support SS7 if you want to connect into them you will
need SS7 support. Note that SS7 is not limited to 'call' data, there are
many protcols which sit on the SS7 stack such as MAP (Mobile Appilication
Part - used in GSM - directly talk to proper SMSC's),  INAP (Intelligent
Networks Application Part - used for intelligent networks, deploying
services such as pre-paid, tele-voting). The equivalent of ISDN/PRI in SS7
is ISUP (ISDN User Part) which is typically used in modern networks for
inter-exchange call routing (some older networks use TUP - Telephony User
Part - even older networks use non SS7 ), which I would suppose is the first
step for Asterisk having not followed it myself. Typically there are very
stringent interconnect tests required for anybody looking to interface with
another operators SS7 network, not like ISDN/PRI lines which are designed
for PBX use. Of course networks are moving towards consolidating their
IP/Telecomms backbone so SS7 is being routed over IP -
http://www.sigtran.org/.
BR /Kev,