[Asterisk-Users] Re: Top posting - are we there yet?

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Tue Nov 16 11:37:21 MST 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:46 pm, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 11:12 -0600, Jay Milk wrote:
> > I'm a fairly reasonable person, and I have yet to see one good argument
> > (and quoting netiquette is not on argument, that's opinion) for
> > bottom-posting.  To me, it is terribly inefficient and wastes time,
> > especially when you hide your post between the original message and some
> > ludicrously elaborate signature.  Top-posting, to me, is more logical,
> > as it presents the answer in a prominent position.  And inline-posting
> > makes sense when you're responding to multiple questions or points in an
> > email...
>
> But you are under the sometimes false assumption that your answer is a)
> good for just that instance of the question, b) The proper answer
> without needing further discussion.
>
> If your answer is a one off and you are willing to repeat that answer
> every time question X comes up, then fine, you waste all of our time and
> bandwidth. Else you answer in a manner to wich someone looking in the
> archives can follow from the question to the answer and see if it
> applies. Remember your answer will probably still apply in 1-2 years.

As someone who's been online since the beginning of the web I can certainly
appreciate Jay's, and other's similar, views.

But as Steven points out very well, it's not just about ourselves. We live in
a community and the degree of order vs confusion we have is all up to us.
Those who add to the confusion, ignorantly, or otherwise, are not helping.

I've been tempted to top post many times, but I don't want to set that example
for others to follow because I've seen how easy things go awry and how hard
it is to get many back "onboard".

It's not about forcing you to do something against your will. It's about
educating each other to understand what their actions do. Top posting means
more confusion when others come and try to figure something out. If you want
to receive help, are you also willing to contribute back?

Then once they have that understanding it becomes a matter of integrity of
whether or not they contribute.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin