[Asterisk-Users] Call pickup

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Nov 16 07:22:08 MST 2004

> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:04:59AM +0100, Leandro said:
> > > I don't understand how to get call pickup to work with asterisk.
> > > Have I to define *8 extension in the dialplan? to what?
> > > Have I to include something, like for parked call?
> > > Has the stable 1.0.2 version the pickup group feature?
> > > or I need to patch it with bristuff?
> >
> > Search the wiki for call pickup. It's all there.
>
> Unfortunately I have already read all the readable on wiki without
> understanding the needed steps to get call pickup to work. Can you please
> answer my questions?

It really isn't that hard. Here's an example.
In zapata.conf, an entry might look like:
 context-inbound-bus
 signalling=fxs_ks
 <snip other detail>
 callgroup=2
 channel => 1

In sip.conf, an phone entry might look like:
 [3002]
 type=
 username=3002
 secret=
 <snip other detail>
 pickupgroup=2

Since the above reflects a zap interface was assigned to callgroup=2,
the sip phone with pickupgroup=2 "can" pick that ringing call up
by pressing *8 (or *8#). If a different sip phone is defined with
pickupgroup=17, it would not be able to get callgroup=2 assignments.

To take that a step further, you could also have a sip.conf entry
like:
 [3004]
 type=
 username=3004
 secret=
 pickupgroup=2
 callgroup=2

and whenever x3004 is ringing, the sip phone at 3002 can pick that
ringing call up as well as the zap interface noted above. If both
are ringing at exactly the same time, I'm not sure which will be
picked up, but one of them will be.

On my sip phone (Cisco 7960) I have to use *8# to pickup calls.