[Asterisk-Users] Re: Top posting - I'm almost sorry I asked!

George Gardiner asterisk at georgej.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 16 06:05:13 MST 2004

I have read the the various views on top/bottom posting and it seems to me that the proper thing to do is:

FIRSTLY, snip as much of the original e-mail as you can,
SECONDLY, reply in-line so that your answers/points are immediately below the original questions/points,
THIRDLY, having snipped extensively whether you top or bottom post is irrelevant and comes down to simply a matter of personal preference.

It seems that top/bottom posting only becomes relevant if FIRSTLY and SECONDLY above aren't applied properly.  If they are then in my opinion your views on top or bottom posting just come down to personal preference based on your e-mail client/newsgroup reader.

I'm grateful to a number of people who have explained the perceived rationale/historical reason behind the "netiquette".  However, as I've got as much information now as I need and as this is a mailing list aimed at dealing with Asterisk-related issues could I suggest that we all drop the topic now.

I am sure that strongly held views will be expressed again in the future, but hopefully we can be largely forgiving of mistakes and tolerant of others preferences.

Regards,
George