[Asterisk-Users] Using Asterisk as an external MOH for Televantage 5?

Kyle Bresin kbresin at mbira.com
Mon Nov 15 15:36:23 MST 2004

As a little testbed asterisk project, to get my company comfortable with
the idea of linux telephony, I decided to ask undertake a rather small
project, replace our two boomboxes, which current supply our on-hold music
via CD and a 1/8" jack to RJ12 plug cord, and instead use Asterisk to do
it via mp3s.

With the goal of reducing clutter in the server room, and be able to fix
music on hold issues remotely.

Sure, a 4 port sound card machine might have worked too.  But I'd still
need 4 1/8" -> RJ12 cables, and I wanted it to be 1U, and I don't know of
any double or quad port sound cards...

>From what I read, I thought it was going to be easy, but now that I've
attempted to implement it with a 4 port FXS TDM card, I've run into a
hitch.

Asterisk seems to only want to play onhold music in response to a
"Pickup".  But since televantage just listens to the line and broadcasts
that to all the callers on hold, rather than actually *transfering* them
there, the "pickup" even never seems to get passed through.

Plugging a phone into the asterisk ports, and picking it up triggers the
music, but not plugging in the RJ12 from the televantage server.

In any case, anyone have advice on how to fool asterisk into doing what I
want?

I'm using Asterisk and Zaptel version1.0.0 compiled against a 2.4.27 kernel.

My /etc/zaptel.conf:
fxoks=1-4

My /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf:
immediate=yes
callprogress=no

context=musiconhold1
signalling=fxo_ks
channel=1

context=musiconhold2
signalling=fxo_ks
channel=2

My relevant /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf:
[musiconhold1]
exten => s,1,MusicOnHold(brand1)        ; Play hold music immediately

[musiconhold2]
exten => s,1,MusicOnHold(brand2)        ; Play hold music immediately

My relevant /etc/asterisk/musiconhold.conf:
brand1 => mp3:/var/lib/asterisk/brand1mp3
brand2 => mp3:/var/lib/asterisk/brand2mp3

Yell at me if I'm missing something obvious, or left something important out.

Thanks to any who take the time to mull this over, been driving me crazy.

kyle.