[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation (lets think before we

Matt Riddell matt.riddell at sineapps.com
Sun Nov 14 21:18:14 MST 2004

Nick Bachmann wrote:
> Benjamin on Asterisk Mailing Lists wrote:
>> However, I did not sign the disclaimers because it also asks for any
>> future rights. That's really stupid. If you were to invite me to a pub
>> and offer to buy me a pint of Guinness, then would it not be
>> unreasonable of me if I said, "I accept, but only on the condition
>> that you will pay for all beers in the future, too."
>
> I believe that's why http://www.digium.com/disclaim.changes exists.  But
> then you'd have to disclaim every change every time... that's why it
> says "both documents are fine, just whichever you are more comfortable
> with" on the Bugs page.
>
> At least, that's my understanding...

 From that document, the line I think he has a problem with is:

   ____________________________ affirms that it has no other
   intellectual property interest that would undermine this release, or
   the use of the Program, and will do nothing to undermine it in the
   future.

If  you posted a mail saying that you thought Asterisk was crap and had
signed this disclaimer, you could go to court.  Not that Digium would do
that though.

I've always thought it was a bit of a strange clause, but hey I trust
Digium implicitly (my business relies on them doing well).

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell