[Asterisk-Users] Linux Kernel 2.6 Questions - safe_asterisk and udev

Matt Gibson gibson at experthost.com
Sun Nov 14 20:30:39 MST 2004

Hi All,

A new server we have installed requires 2.6 for the sata hardware to
work properly, so I've been somewhat forced into using Kernel 2.6 for
now and having jumped right into it, it's quite nice, but I am having
some small issues. I have it all up and running, and it seems somewhat
faster on 2.6 (might just be the hype, who knows).. Anyway, I have a few
questions.

1. Has anyone set asterisk up successfully with kernel 2.6 and running
it as a user as opposed to root? - So far I have noticed that because of
the udev file system, I have to manually chown /dev/zap /dev/sound et
all to asterisk user upon boot up in rc.local. Is there a cleaner way of
doing this?

2. I've also noticed that in rc.local I had to add a sleep 10 statement
after inserting the modules to ensure that /dev/zap was created before
running asterisk. Else asterisk would fail. Mind you this is running on
a k6-350 with 320 megs of ram, so it could be the speed of the box, just
wondering if anyone else noticed this.

3. When running safe_asterisk (su asterisk -c /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk) i
see the following output ---

..root at asterisk:(~)%su asterisk -c /usr/sbin/safe_asterisk
..root at asterisk:(~)%Asterisk ended with exit status 0
Asterisk shutdown normally.

but asterisk is running normally if I ps aux, and running as the user.
Anyone know a way to fix this? I know it's not hurting anything, it's
just annoying to see, and I'm sure it's not right. I looked at
/usr/sbin/safe_asterisk, but can't figure out why it's doing that. I
remember something about having to edit the path statement for the
asterisk user in /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/profile and/or /etc/login.defs,
all have been done, but this still doesn't seem to rectofy the problem.

If anyone else has any other relevant 2.6 information, it'd be much
abliged.

ps: i'm using slackware 10.0, and kernel 2.6.9, and a tdm30b, and a
x100p clone.

thanks,
Matt

--