[Asterisk-Users] MacOS/x softphone and g729a

StrUK asterisk at ermy.net
Sun Nov 14 12:25:25 MST 2004

So being at the IETF in DC last week was fun - and the first real test
of my * set up. ("Yay!" for softphones and SIP)

One issue, though - is there *really* no soft phone for the Mac with
G.729A codec support? 64kbps UDP was 'patchy in places' in a very
congested IP network.

I spoke with Xten whilst over in the US and there was a bit of
confusion over G729A and X-PRO on OSx. One sales person said that it
shipped with it, so i bought it, only to find that it didn't come with
it. They've been good about it, but not forthcoming with
if/when/why/how G729A on os/x will happen.

I'd willingly part with about 50ukp for a commercial product - a 8kbps
codec on the desktop really is worth *something*, just not the 10,000 *
50usd that Xtel seem to want (!) - [I assume that they are just trying
to cover programmer costs for implementing a new version and getting
the necessary license, but, still, 'sheesh'!]

The other alternative, I guess, is to take my Zyxel on the road with me
(ho ho ho)