[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk "dual licensing"

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Nov 13 14:10:46 MST 2004

[off-list]

> Brian Capouch wrote:
>
> > I would like to see you say out loud, just once, that those of us who
> > know all of that and disclaim our work to Digium are not necessarily
> > idiotic boobs who don't know what we're doing.
>
> As Joe already pointed out, he doesn't believe this to be the case :-)

Correct, of course.  :-)  I've said repeatedly that authors can do whatever
they want.

[Then you go on to bring up several interesting points, which bear a fair
amount of consideration.]

I've studied the GPL at arm's length for some years now.  We long ago made
a business decision to license code under BSD for a variety of reasons, and
I've studied the ins and outs of that decision in detail over the years.  I
am finding it fascinating to contemplate the complexities of bending the
GPL in this manner, since it isn't an issue which I've extensively
considered, and your comments extend my understanding of the ins and outs
of this in a direction I hadn't even started to consider.

Thanks.  ;-)

... JG