[Asterisk-Users] Newbie question

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Nov 13 05:30:17 MST 2004

>  First, I'm really new to asterisk and I'm testing it in order
> to improve my first steps...
>
>  Recently I installed * asterisk on a FreeBSD Box (5.2.1)
> I got it working on my internal LAN (it works fine !).
>
> I was trying to connect my * box through FWD using SIP
> but it is not working an I'm very confused about *, in fact
> I can't call from my * client (X-Lite) to a FWD number,
> but bettwen my * sip authenticated clients yes...
>
> Please somebody can help me or guide me to the right direction ?
>
> Any kind of help will be appreciated and excuseme by my english :o(
>
> Here is attached my config files

There really isn't enough info in those config files to answer
your question. If the bsd box is behind a nat box, then your missing
the sip.conf statements to support that. If you are, consider using
iax2 for the link (instructions are on fwd's site).

Your exten => _7., statement doesn't look right either. Here's what
works on my system (substituting your userid/secret and using iax):
 exten => _7.,1,Dial(IAX2/500460:cuco99 at iax2.fwdnet.net/${EXTEN:1},60,r)
Modify as necessary for sip.

Also, in your register statement:
 register => 500460:cuco99 at fwd.pulver.com/500460
the /500460 at the end tells fwd to send that extn number when they dial
your * box. So you will need something in your extensions.conf file
that looks something like:
 exten => 500460,1,Dial(what ever your want to do)
Without that, incoming calls from fwd have no where to go.

An alternate way to accomplish that is to drop the /500460 from that
register statement, and then have an inbound-fwd context something like:
 [fwd]
 exten => s,1,Dial(what ever you want to do)

To help troubleshoot your config, break the process down into diagnosing
outbound calling first followed by diagnosing inbound calls. Use the CLI
'sip debug' to identify whether your register statement is actually
working. Once that is successful, then do the same for an outbound call
to one of the fwd test numbers. Once that is successful, then use the
fwd web site option to initiate a test call from their site to your
* system.

Remember, the only thing the register statement does is to tell fwd
where to reach your machine (IP address). Your Dial statement is used
to send calls to fwd, but you still need an incoming 'context' for
inbound fwd sip calls.

Might take a look in the wiki and fwd's web site for * config examples.
 http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+How+to+connect+to+FWD