[Asterisk-Users] BRI in the US

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Nov 12 23:15:21 MST 2004

> Scott Stingel wrote:
> > Brian-
> >
> > I was quoted (verbally) something on the order of $60 per month for a single
> > BRI by SBC in San Francisco about 60 days ago.  I thought that was high..
>
> It has been a while, but the last BRI I ordered from BellSouth/Louisiana
> was about US$109/month.

We're paying about half that per BRI (SBC/Ameritech/Wisconsin Bell).  I'll
note that at least up here, pricing is very dependent on whether you use
an ISDN ordering code ("package") - ordering a circuit with the same
features as a package can be twice as expensive as ordering the package.

This pretty much puts you outta luck if what you need isn't offered as a
standard ordering code.

It's mildly more economical (and, yes, as someone else said, so much cooler)
to bring in one BRI than two POTS lines with modest features like CID.

Are you guys actually able to make US BRI's work?  I'm interested in
hearing more...  we've been bringing in dialtone on ISDN for years because
we're in an RF-intense area, but right now bridging the gap from ISDN to
VoIP is a Netgear RT338 and some Sipura SPA3000's, and that setup doesn't
work half as well as I'd like.  I'd consider spending the money on a Cisco
with BRI VIC cards if I knew for sure it'd work well, but I'd be more happy
staying with a non-propietary solution.

... JG