[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Fri Nov 12 20:10:32 MST 2004

I hope this is the last time I have to comment on this...

> I'm struggling to think of another free software project where contributed
> code bearing an identical GPL or BSD license would require any such
> additional disclaimer.

How about GCC, GLIBC, etc?  Do you think Digium came up with those
disclaimers on our own?  No, we used the FSF ones with the exception that
the "long version" of ours has the original author retain copyright with
Digium as unlimited licensee, whereas the FSF requires copyright
assignment to the FSF and an unlimited license back to the original
author.  This distinction is because the FSF wants to be able to enforce
the GPL on code they did not author, whereas with Digium and Asterisk we
are more concerned that we do not allow contributions to pollute our
ability to make licensing decisions.

Again, as with the FSF projects, nobody is *required* to make any such
disclaimer -- only if you want your changes to be included in what we
distribute as Asterisk.  By and large, I think people are willing to do so
because Digium has worked very hard to keep adding value to Asterisk and
because we've stuck to our guns on being sure that Digium created code
always remains Open Source and available under GPL.  Personally, I am very
much aware of the trust the Asterisk community has given to Digium, and
likewise I am very much aware the security and the independence *from*
Digium that GPL gives them.  Our future is totally dependent upon our
ability to continue to earn the support, help and loyalty of the community
at large.

Mark