[Asterisk-Users] Authenticate or DISA?

Paul Fielding paul.fielding at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 12 18:32:55 MST 2004

I want to authenticate to the phone system, then be able to call an extension or dial an outside line.   My preferred method would be to use DISA, because a) it's non-verbal - ie. it doesn't talk, just provides dialtone, and b) it provides dialtone.

However, it seems to be unreliable.  when I phone in, sometimes it doesn't seem to recognize my DTMF, and just keeps giving a dialtone without authenticating.   It's inconsistent.  I can phone the system and it'll work, phone again and it doesn't, phone a third time and it works.

My alternative seems to be to use Authenticate, and upon authenticating simply send the caller to the appropriate context to punch in extensions or calls.  The problem with this is a) it voices the authentication - ie "please enter password" which to me is inviting people to try to figure it out, and b) after authenticating you don't get a dialtone, just silence.

But at least it works reliably every time.

Any thoughts?

regards,

Paul