[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Fri Nov 12 14:47:30 MST 2004

Michael Giagnocavo wrote:

> Again, let Stallman call out nasal demons against whoever he wants.
> Meanwhile, I think Digium should be able to do whatever they want with code
> they've made, or code disclaimed to them.

Joe, I think everyone appreciates the fact that you don't like the way
Digium handles the licensing and disclaimers.

I would like to see you say out loud, just once, that those of us who
know all of that and disclaim our work to Digium are not necessarily
idiotic boobs who don't know what we're doing.

Digium took a huge risk in making their primary intellectual property
Open Source.  They didn't have to; this revolutionary system may or may
not have taken off like it has, had it been proprietary.  But at the
very least there is a reasonable chance that it would have succeeded as
such and made them a lot of money.

It tires me to read your tirades and consider that you really don't
think the rest of us are smart enough to catch Digium's "trick" that
bothers you so badly.

Things are set up the way they are, as I understand it, so that first,
Mark gets the final say, totally, as to what is "true Asterisk" and what
is not.  Second, it allows them the freedom to do side things with
Asterisk--yes, with my code and your code and everyone else's code
too--in order to make a living, and validate the thought that doing
Asterisk as Open Source could be done in a way that Digium could still
make some money on it.

IMO we are perched at the very beginning of the revolution that Asterisk
will bring to telephony.  I don't mind watching the arguments made about
the minutiae of the GPL; I *really* mind seeing Mark's and Digium's
motives impugned.

B.