[Asterisk-Users] $200 AMP documentation bounty < - Comments o n the Linux user experience

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 10:25:39 MST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:06:58 -0700, Colin Anderson
<colina at landmarkmasterbuilder.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I write this rant as a call to arms for all of the * users: Let's get
> organized. Let's stop forking. Let's document and write howto's. Let's get
> some better abstraction layers on Asterisk that mere mortals can understand.
> Let's stop bitching about top-posting on the list (who cares, anyway) and
> move beyond that and focus on making Asterisk as beautiful on the outside as
> it is on the inside.
>
> Before Mr. Critchfield can say: "Well, why don't you do something about it,
> instead of complaning about it" I'd like to say I am not without GUI and
> documentation skills; but I cannot do it alone. I need your help, too. I'd
> like to start a project (wrong phrase: more like "Continue on with the
> current efforts") for better documentation and GUI's. If anyone is
> interested, contact me off-list.

There *IS* a documentation project for Asterisk - Its called the
Asterisk Documentation Project (http://www.asteriskdocs.org), however,
we can't do it alone.  People need to get involved with it and help us
to create documentation.  There is currently 3 core documentors, and
we all have day jobs / school.  Unfortunately we haven't received any
documentation for probably about 2-3 months from anyone but the core
group.

We'd LOVE to have people help us out.  If you have documentation which
you have already written (perhaps internal documents, quick tips,
etc...) then submit them!  We do most of out stuff in CVS, but I'm not
opposed to converting your documents for you.  Links to websites which
offer Asterisk documentation can be submitted and there are sections
for writing documentation on the website through the website
interface.

You can also hang out in #asterisk-doc on Freenode to discuss documentation.

I write this to show people that there IS a group of people who are
trying to write good, clear and correct documentation for Asterisk -
but the number of contributers compared to the user base is minimal.
There is no point in starting another project for documentation - one
already exists! :)

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.asteriskdocs.org