[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation -- what about IPEYA

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Fri Nov 12 09:48:09 MST 2004

As of less than a month ago they did not.  The bottom line is they even lied
to Digium about it till I took proof otherwise to Mark.  And chances are if
I wouldn't have taken proof to Mark to the otherwise they wouldn't be even
talking to Digium about the possibility of a license.

If they have since purchased a license from Digium then they have done the
right thing.  If not they are still in violation of the GPL.  I am
personally not aware of ANYONE that has a commercial license for Asterisk.
I do know of a few exceptions and that's about it.

Either way they go the community will benefit.  I have not one issue with
the doing a commercial license as that will help drive Digium which in turn
drives the project.  I just feel they went about it the wrong way and being
very shady about it even telling me on the phone when I had proof to the
otherwise that they "wrote it all in house" and it was "proprietary".  Then
proceeded to compare Asterisk to the air you breathe and their product to
the air you get when you scuba dive.  Granted I have never been scuba diving
so I can't compare it... but I would think that the air in a scuba tank is
better.

bkw_