[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7912g SIP firmware

Chris TenHarmsel epchris at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 09:41:56 MST 2004

We just got a bunch of 7912G's in the office here that were _not_ sip,
and we successfully converted them.  Here's how we did it.

1. Download the firmware.  This requires a Cisco account (not sure
which kind, I think there's info on the Wiki about how to get one
though).  Those downloads you are seeing are the subset that are
available to the general public, you will get a completely different
list once you have the right access.

2. Put firmware on your TFTP server, it'll be named something like:
CP7912010200SIP040406A.sbin

3. Copy the gkdefault.cfg file that comes with the firmware download
to your TFTP server, this default config file will be read by the
7912G's and it specifies the matching firmware you just put in place,
the phones will then download this firmware on the next reboot.

3a. Reboot the phones (do not do the following steps before the phone
has been updated with new firmware) to get new firmware.

4. Create text-based gk000000000000.txt files (replace 0's with the
phone's MAC address, found on the bottom of the phone), there are
readme's in the firmware download package on what to put in these
files.

5. Convert gk000000000000.txt to gk000000000000 using the tool
provided by Cisco in the firmware download (we keep the text versions
in CVS for revision control and storage).

6. Upload gk000000000000 to your TFTP server

7. Reset the phone once more so it gets the new configuration file.

We found that things get tricky if the phones have a specific config
file in place when they need to be updated, so we followed the
procedure of: Reboot phone to get firmware (via gkdefault.cfg), upload
phone-specific config file, reboot phone once more to get specific
config file.

Hope that helps some,
Chris