[Asterisk-Users] $200 AMP documentation bounty

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Fri Nov 12 08:40:32 MST 2004

> Lol, in other words for newbies forget it, I've tried like 3 or 4 times
> to install it and their documentation just plain sucks, so I'm prepared
> to pay anyone $200 that can write a step by step guide and then this can
> be posted online to help out others.

Hey, I'm a newbie and I got it to go OK. Works fine. First time I tried the
dependencies drove me nuts too, so I switched tactics and just used FC2 Yum;
for all the required packages I just used yum install <package> and it
resolved all the dependencies.

For any other stuff, like Sendmail config, auto-starting a service, etc
google is your friend.

For MySQL permissions issues and for general admin issues phpadmin and
webmin are your friends. Once your config is locked down, take them out.

I agree about the docs though, they are brutal and it takes a half-day to
install it from scratch. Some of the stuff is cryptic: "Get AstPerl from
Gnuinter. Install it." How? You l33t guys on the list chuckle at our
noobieness, but for a noob it's a steep learning curve.

If you come from the Windows world or no world at all, installs like this
border on insane but IMO the best way to overcome it is to take a crash
course in general Linux admin: "what does chmod do? " , "Case matters in
Linux, so double check what you are typing" , "Get proficient with a text
editor, you will need it" , "be familiar with both tar and gzip" etc

One thing that drove me crazy the first time is that the Perl MCPAN modules
kept failing on install until I realized that the -j3 flag in the Perl was
required for SMP machines. Little things like that can trip you up and you
are screwed. You can't just assume that your "make" command worked because
you got a command prompt back. Read the output spit back to the console,
carefully. Above all, be patient.