[Asterisk-Users] Caller ID for Japan?

Fri Nov 12 07:33:28 MST 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:09:55 -0000, James Botham
<james.botham at computersoftware.com> wrote:

> Surprise, surprise you only have compatibility if you live in the US
> everybody needs to remember this...

true, but Japan is a particularly bad place when it comes to adhering
to any kind of standard. The Japanese love to be different and shut
themselves off from the rest of the world.

Consider the Japanese caller ID, "numbah jispleh" (number display) as
it is called over here ...

First the information is encoded twice and checksummed twice as if
they had planned to send the signal to the other end of the galaxy.

Then they send the encoded signal not between rings but you actually
have to pick up the line, let your code listen to the criss cross FSK
encoded caller ID signal and then hang up again within 20 msec, so the
call can then continue to ring your line.

Now if that isn't bizarr as bizarr can be, even by Japanese standards,
then I don't know what bizarr is. I certainly wouldn't expect any
non-Japanese equipment to be able to support this.

However, there is a guy who said he was looking into it and apparently
Steve Underwood had already done some work beforehand which I didn't
even know about.

Masakazu, Isamar and myself had asked for developers to contact us to
see what kind of a bounty would be required to get this done.

If everybody poppoing up occasionally on this list of the Wiki, living
in Japan puts down 100 USD for a joint bounty, that should do the
trick.

So, we will be happy to pencil Murata-san in for his ichi-man-yen
contribution towards the bounty when that developer gets back to us
;-)

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.