[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at codefidence.com
Fri Nov 12 06:25:39 MST 2004

Matt Riddell wrote:

> 1. The strings prove it is Asterisk
> 2. They deny it is
> 3. We have multiple sources who can confirm this
>
> So, let's all post the article on GPL violation to Slashdot.  All in
> favour?

Danger Will Robinson.

I actually heard Welte give a talk about GPL violation in Germany in the
last OLS and there are very good legal reasons why a huge public
exposure is a very bad idea *prior to getting Digium lawyers ready with
a law suit*.

IANAL, but my understanding is that if we make this public before Digium
lawyers are OK to move forward you are practically stopping them from
using certain legal tactics which can only be used if you demonstrate
you've reacted at the first possible moment after you learned about the
violation.

In short, first find out what Mark wants to do with this and let Digium
lawyers go through with this or otherwise you're risking making it more
difficult for Mark & Digium.

Only if Mark is not interested in going the legal path should we make
this Slashdot material.

Gilad