[Asterisk-Users] SysMaster and GPL Violation

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Fri Nov 12 03:36:52 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 05:57, el Flynn wrote:
> Brian West wrote:
> > Ok I have known about this for over a month now and have yet to see anything
> > come of it.  Just a little note that Sysmaster is packaging up Asterisk in
> > their product and not giving a notice with the product with an offer to the
> > source of the the GPL software they use inside their products.  They even
> > lie and tell people such as myself outright that it's not Asterisk.  If
> > Digium doesn't push the issue it only weakens the GPL.
> >

> So just to be clear: if vendors package Asterisk into their own
> "product", they need to make it clear that it's running on Asterisk? Or
> do they simply offer to make the source available for free (which, if
> you give root access to the server, they will be able to get to)? Or both?
>
> IANAL so can someone with more experience shed some light on this? Maybe
> someone from Digium themselves can chirp in and lay down the facts
> straight once and for all?

Either they have to tell it's Asterisk, offer you access to the source
(in what so ever way) and give you a copy of the GPL
- or -
they have to buy a commericial license of Digium and pay them for each
and every box they ship.

Denying the fact, that it's Asterisk they base their product on just
shows that they try to hide it (ie. don't comply to any of those two
licenses)

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen