[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice asterisk patch

Chris Tooley ctooley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 15:58:08 MST 2004

I'm giong to get totally flamed for this but:

Don't most major Open Source projects ask that patches be e-mailed to
a dev mailing list?  Isn't the only problem with this patch that they
didn't include the mailing list because it was of no consequence to
the majority of Asterisk users?

I can think of NO better way to distribute patches than in an open
(both in terms of source and usage) manner.  If you don't trust the
vendor of the product, ask someone that you do trust.  If you don't
care enough to take care of security in your phone system you'll have
to deal with the repurcussions.

The bottom line is that this argument has gotten completely off any
kind of productive discussion of why this is an issue that needs to be
dealt with.

I've read the patch (and I'm not a C genius, it's a brain-dead simple
patch) and had a buddy verify that my thoughts were correct, took me
almost (but not quite) as long as applying and update from Microsoft.
In the end when I apply it, I KNOW what it did, even though it came in
e-mail, instead of hoping that Microsoft has my best interest in mind.