[Asterisk-Users] Top posting

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Thu Nov 11 14:28:21 MST 2004

Tom Lahti wrote:

> 2) The lazy type who don't give a damn and top post because its easier.
> These are the types who usually have that annoying feature in Windows
> turned on that automatically zaps the mouse cursor to whatever default
> button appears in modal dialog boxes.

I actually take some exception to the comment that people only top post
because they are being lazy.  I have been using the Internet and online
conferencing since long before Al Gore "invented" the Internet and I
find that keeping the most recent part at the top allows one to get the
new information easily and then if they need more background information
they can follow the trail down to see any context they missed.  If one
is responding to indivual bullet points in a post then mixing the
response is the only way to go, but if as in this particular
conversation the responses are less structured then top posting lets
you see the new point quickly and move on.  Kind of like the way a
newspaper arranges the text of a story to give the key facts at the
beginning of the first paragraph and you choose how far down to read to
fill in any details you want to pick up.

Steve