[Asterisk-Users] Top posting

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Nov 11 09:00:30 MST 2004

> Joe Greco wrote:
> >There's no reason, other than sheer laziness, to top-post.  Providing
> >useful information might lessen the offense somewhat :-), but does not
> >(IMO) make it somehow okay to do.
>
> so if by chance there is a thread you are interested in that 3 other
> TP'er were engaged in, you would BP,

"BP"?

Bottom-post, maybe?

No.  Bottom posting is nearly as stupid.  We have these neat standards
for doing inline quoting.  Like here, where I've broken in mid-sentence,
adding a quote character to the quoted line below, so I can be very
precise about who said what.

> when you KNEW they would all
> 'continue' the thread TP'n.

As long as I'm not in a rush, I typically *fix* formatting that I
disapprove of.  :-)  You will notice some reformatting of your quoted
reply, including the removal of some gratuitous lines...

The goal should be able to make it easy to follow the thread of
discussion.

When the material being replied to is more than maybe a dozen or so lines
away, it becomes more difficult to follow the flow.  That's a very loose
rule of thumb, of course, since there are many examples where someone may
post dozens of lines of text, and then have an equally large reply, but the
general idea remains.

Regards,

... JG