[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice asterisk patch

Tom Lahti tom at tx3.net
Wed Nov 10 19:35:26 MST 2004

At 02:39 PM 11/10/2004, you wrote:
> >In any case, the patch has been positively identified as being genuine.
>
>Which one? Anyone who got an email like that?
>
>Get the point? :)

Holy beating a dead horse, Batman.

No one is suggesting that because person X read and understood the patch
that it makes it a fearless install for anyone who receives anything
claiming to be the patch.  It makes it a fearless install for person X
*only*.  If person Y wants the same peace-of-mind, he has to read and
understand it himself.

Since (a) asterisk is not Broadvoice's product, (b) Broadvoice does not
even officially support asterisk, and (c) asterisk is an open source
project, the *only* appropriate action they can take is to email a patch.

They are a business trying to earn a living on their own products and they
did what they did to alleviate their OWN problem and save their OWN
network, the rest of it be damned, which is totally appropriate for any
for-profit business.

They could just as easily have said "screw you asterisk people" and
disabled asterisk's ability to register with their servers and not done
anything about asterisk's lack of ability in the registration area.

Now, thanks to their effort, we have an improved asterisk with greater
ability and compatibility.  Since noone else has said it, I'll say "Thanks,
Broadvoice.  We're glad to have you contribute to the asterisk codebase,
and good work!"

--
Tom