[Asterisk-Users] Re: quasi-skype channel for Asterisk?

Duane duane at e164.org
Wed Nov 10 16:26:38 MST 2004

Martin List-Petersen wrote:

> I do agree, that it is exactly the place where DUNDi is most
> interesting. Peering between ITSP's and dialplan distribution inside
> companies.

Won't be useful for peering unless everyone is running asterisk, most
companies tend to run other devices for better stability/timing...

> Actually not, because you are only querying the servers nearest yourself

and when they don't have the number?

> in the peering ring, also the numbers are cached for a while, so once
> you made the lookup, the next one won't go that far. (That's how i
> understood the priciple, correct me, if i'm wrong).

say there is a billion calls an hour and 99% of the calls aren't
duplicate numbers and aren't routable over the Internet, a lot of
traffic searching all servers for a single response *shrug*...

> Sorry, but geographically or not, people never really think about it,
> when they call other people.

I meant more country codes then inter/intra-state calls... If people
have a FWD number which are issued sequentially you have no hope in
telling where they are, even if you are time zone aware...

> Ok, once you start putting the international code in front of the
> phonenumber, because you dial outside your country, it makes a bit more
> difference, but not really. Because most people can't even imagine the
> difference, because they look outside and see, it's light.

My parents were perfect examples of this, I live in Australia and spent
a couple of weeks in the US earlier in the year, they almost said the
exact same thing to me on the phone when the local time in the US was
5am... But this is an exception, most people are used to "local" numbers
and being able to call a local looking number they won't expect it to be
4am in another country... (aka IPkall.com numbers)

> I do agree, that things should be kept as simple as possible. And
> numbers are a universal language. I can't read every language, but i can
> read numbers, at least in nearly every language.

I didn't consider this, but you are right about it being a universal
language.

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else.
	I only try to dance better than myself."