[Asterisk-Users] high-capacity systems / trouble with Tyan

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Wed Nov 10 15:23:04 MST 2004

Hello,

I've had a Tyan dual Athlon MP(2800) machine for a year now and have had
several lockups for strange reasons on stock redhat kernel and on custom
compiled kernel off of Slackware. I've tried every combination of BIOS
settings and changed out all assiciated hardware and found the problem: It's
the Tyan. I've also had issues with a couple of SCSI RAID cards when I tried
using them with the Tyan card.

This all would have really upset me if the Athlon MP platform performed
better than the Intel platform, but it doesn't. This Dual Athlon MP system
actually handles LESS total Asterisk load than a single P4 3.2 GHz, and the
P4 has a lot more Motherboard options and cost much less.

This is just my experience, I'm sure I am using Asterisk a little
differently than you, I don't have 3 Quad T1 cards in any of my machines,
but if that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest the PowerPC(Mac)
platform. Asterisk installs just fine right on top of Yellow Dog Linux and
the bus speed of a Mac mops the floor with most x86 motherboards, meaning
more bandwidth for those bus-hungry Digium boards.

MATT---