[Asterisk-Users] Unknown RTP Codec when sending fax

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Wed Nov 10 10:01:17 MST 2004

We have been able to send/recieve faxes with the linksys ATA devices until
our recent switch to g729. I have forced asterisk to disallow g729 in the
sip.conf for this device and 'sip show peer 3046' does not show g729 as
available.

Why would we be able to send faxes fine, but not recieve?

When sending/recieving, I get the following lines in asterisk console:

 rtp.c:489 ast_rtp_read: Unknown RTP codec 96 received

What can be done to improve fax ability? Are there other methods of doing
faxes with *?

THanks,
Matthew