[Asterisk-Users] asterisk PC hardware reccomendations?

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Wed Nov 10 09:50:13 MST 2004

I am trying to determine what hardware/distro combinations others have
had success with.

My goal is to find a reliable entry level server where the manufacturer
supports a Linux distro that behaves well with * and I can use ATA Raid.

I have tried the HP Proliant ML330 ATA Raid model, and it is a little
sketchy, HP only supports up to redhat 8 and the ataraid driver has some
serious issues. I have not even gotten to the point of testing Digium
Zap cards.

My old Dell PIII 550 test box works great, but I would never consider
putting it into production.

The concerns are;

Entry level current model server, readily available.

Good PCI performance with Digium cards (TDM400P, T100P), and possible
the quad span t1 card (3.3v?). 3 or 4 slots open.

Ata raid with a driver for current distros, flexible on which one,
unless there are known issues with * on the hardware/distro combo.

Support by the server manufacturer if Linux or a vendor provided driver
misbehaves (mission critical!).

Good, (field proven?) * Zap performance with no PCI/IRQ related echo or
card lock up issues.

Does anyone have experience with such a setup that they would be willing
to share?

Many thanks,

Damon