[Asterisk-Users] Re: quasi-skype channel for Asterisk?

Stefan Märkle stefan.maerkle at netpioneer.de
Wed Nov 10 00:33:55 MST 2004

> Sorry, I don't have that kind of skill as well as the time
> for development.
>
> So, back to my original question, I'll use the way I proposed
> if that is possible.
>
> If skype can be one of the channels, that is an advantage in
> holding conference call over the Internet, I think.

Hi,

There was a long thread about integrating asterisk and skype about 4 weeks ago. The big Pro is the user base skype has the big con is the proprietary license skype uses and that it does nothing that asterisk and dundi can't do themselves better.

I do not understand what you mean by 'phone jack'. If you plan to use microphone-in/speaker-out of your skype computer to the opposite jacks on your asterisk box, you will be able to transmit the voice channel in both directions using either chan_oss/chan_alsa or another voip software on the asterisk box.

But you have no means to establish a skype channel with this solution as the dial or answer functions only exist in the skype software or the api mentioned above.

If there really is a converter (box or software) from skype to 'real' phone jacks (isdn or FXO/FXS or SIP/H323), you are certainly done, as these interfaces have proven that they support voice AND signalling ;-). But I'm not aware of such a converter.

Just my 2 whatsoever

Stefan