[Asterisk-Users] Cordless vs Wireless phones

Torsten Krueger torsten at nrw-online.de
Mon Nov 8 16:25:27 MST 2004

Hello,

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Kubat, Philip wrote:

> We currently have an Asterisk installation and need to add cordless /
> wireless phones.  Requirements are these phone need to be equals to the
> "wired" devices, i.e. dedicated buttons for hold, transfer, etc. , e.g. not
> an ATA connected analog phone cordless phone.  Was thinking of using 802.11b
> SIP phones (etc), but this opens up all the security concerns of 802.11 and
> the network.  Do any of these phone support VPNs?   Have to isolate the WLAN
> from the LAN.
>
> If not is there a SIP (or any other Asterisk channel) device that is a
> "cordless  phone".  Some things like combining an ATA w/a cordless phone?
> But as one device with all the "digital" features?

Concering the Zyxel/BCM/WiSIP phone I personally would not recommend it,
at least not in it's actual state.

- only one line appearance
- no working call transfer/hold/resume/conf buttons
- really bad firmware
	Awful Webinterface
	Webinterface completely usable only with IE
	Very few phonebookentrys
	no central configuration management
	WEP 128 almost unusable perhaps due to CPU issues
- slow update frequency for software
- only 24 hours standby
- thermal problems when making longer call (it get's hot on the ear)
- keypad has no well defined pressure point, you have to look at the
  display wether it really got your input

When I compare the 24 hours standby with the about 250 hours of my mobile
or the equivalent standby time of my DECT phone the Zyxel looses. There
are other Wifi phones out there and I'd really like to hear some
experiences with these.

Regarding other wireless solutions DECT comes to mind. A DECT base station
can serve 8 to 12 wireless phones, the area covered by one basestation is
much larger than Wifi. Wireless coverage can be extended with repeaters
and roaming and handover running smooth. Have a look at the wiki
( http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=DECT ), there are several
solutions. Aditionally have a look at www.kirktelecom.com . They offer
Skinny and H323 capable DECT gateways. Their products are sold as OEM by
innovaphone and tiptel.

If anyone has real world experience regarding the asterisk compatibility
and overall experience of business class wireless integration to asterisk
I'd really like to hear about that.

Regards
Torsten