[Asterisk-Users] Clipping at start of call

rutileblue at comcast.net rutileblue at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 11:53:08 MST 2004

I have tried very hard to find a solution to this problem.  I see many comments in this mailing list stating similar problems, but so far the suggestions have not alleviated the problem.

Statement of problem: The first few seconds of a call are clipped.  This happens to some specific calls, but not others.  For example, there is a particular number, when called and the voicemail is reached, the message is consistently clipped by 2 to 3 seconds.  This also happens when an actual person picks up. (You can't hear them, and they can't hear you.)  The quality of the call after that is beautiful.  No clipping and no echo.

I have 2 Uniden UIP200 phones, a Grandstream Budgetone 100, and an analog phone connected to the Asterisk box. All experience the clipping.  (So I'm thinking its nothing particular about the phone itself.)  I have v1.0.1 of Asterisk acquired 11/6/2004 running under Red Hat Core 1 (without  X windows) on an 800MHz box.  I use VoicePulse Connect to reach the PSTN.

The UIP200 does exhibit the clipping when calling the internal Asterisk voicemail. (ie "password" is clipped to "word".)  I've added a wait in the dialing plan to fix that.

Could it be a hardware problem?  (Too slow of a box?)  Seems unlikely...

Could it be VoicePulse?  Maybe...

Is it some issue in Asterisk?  Maybe...

How do I diagnose where the problem is?

Any help or pointers to resources would be appreciated!

-Chuck.