[Asterisk-Users] SIP REGISTER -- Asterisk non-compliant or is it the provider?

Sat Nov 6 08:11:10 MST 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 06:33:15 -0800 (PST), Girish Gopinath
<asterisk_in at yahoo.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, the 05099999999 in the From header acts as a display name. It can be used to
> determine the processing rules by other SIP entities.
[SNIP]
> The Auth credentials in the Request can be different.

Thanks, this was important to know because I couldn't seem to verify
this using various SIP devices.

> I hope others here will give a better explanation on this...

More important than explanations is to know the fact that the two can
in fact be different.

The question now is how can Asterisk's sip implementation be fixed so
that it can construct such REGISTER messages. If this remains
unsupported, providers will actively use it to lock Asterisk out. The
Japanese telecom monopoly NTT already does so as this example shows.
And since most ISPs over here act as satellites for NTT, even if you
change providers, you are likely to end up with NTT again.

> > - can Asterisk construct such a REGISTER message?
> Sorry. I am not sure about this.

given the very limited syntax for the register directlive,

register => userid at domain.com

OR

register => userid at domain.com/contactid

I can't really see how to change the From field independently of the
digest username.

but I would be more than happy to learn of any workarounds or patches
that would allow this.

thanks
rgds
benjk