[Asterisk-Users] [OT] Old Building Needs a New Telephone System

Michael Welter mike at introspect.com
Fri Nov 5 20:34:40 MST 2004

We have a 100 year old building here in Colorado that needs a new
telephone system. The building (five floors) is steel frame with lath
and plaster walls. There is no crawl space above the ceilings or under
the floors.  The building is "historic", and nothing can be done to the
exterior.

The current system uses existing Cat3 (two pair) to get to the digital
telephone set in each office.  Some offices have an additional pair
which is used for fax (and DSL).  I belive this fax line is a POTS line
from the telco.

The owners would like to replace the existing telephone system, but they
are adamant that the exsiting wiring be reused.  They would like to
provide a LAN connection to each office for both data and voice.  (They
would also like to install cable TV in each office, but cable install
costs would be $80,000+.)

The owners are concerned about frequent power failures and keeping the
telephones operational.  Whatever equipemnt and telephone sets we put in
the offices will have to be powered from a central UPS (PoE).

So how can I do this?  Can I use RS485 adapters to get ethernet to each
office via the two pair?  What kind of data rate can I get with RS485,
and would it be half- or full-duplex?  Would wireless work in a steel
building? Is there some other technology that can be used?

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
Mike

--