[Asterisk-Users] Speech to Text Conversion

Race Vanderdecken asterisk at vanderdecken.com
Fri Nov 5 10:16:57 MST 2004

I have done extensive research and build a few products to do this in
the past.

They key is to do the speech recognition offline. That is capture all
the speech and do the recognition as a batch job down the road. Real
time recognition is normally limited to less then 1000 words/phrases and
takes power and speech expert to do it.  http://www.ejtalk.com/ can help
with the recognition for dynamic and batch. They are familiar with
asterisk. Ask for Emmett.

In order to recognize and convert properly you are looking at 6 to 1
time ratio. It will take 6 seconds of CPU time to convert 1 second of
speech into text. Same for doing the reverse, converting 1 second of
text back to speech takes about 6 seconds.

The ratio stays the same because as the converters get better they need
bigger cpu's to do it right.

The most important factor is the quality of the captured speech
sounds/data. This is a silk purse from a sow's ear problem. Telephone
g.711 is difficult to recognize, g.729 compression makes the job even
harder. Make sure you are capturing at the highest level you can get.

I designed created a system in the past that is used by
www.orchestrate.com to do similar. What was done there was to modify the
voicemail server to pass a copy of a voicemail recording, via email, to
the recognizer, which converts and then email the results back. The
voicemail email client, stay with me here it gets better, receives the
email with the new text and attaches that to the original voicemail
recording. Did I mention that we used an email server to store the
voicemail recordings so that when you check your mail (dare I say
universal inbox ) you got both the recording and the transcript?

Let me know how it works out. And if you have more questions I am
available to help.

Race Vanderdecken

asterisk near Vanderdecken D.O.T commie