[Asterisk-Users] Transcoding - when and when not?

Whisker, Peter Peter.Whisker at logicacmg.com
Fri Nov 5 06:07:06 MST 2004

I am a little confused about voice data transcoding in Asterisk. I can make
a call between two u-law-only phones over an IAX GSM-codec link and the two
Asterisk servers handle the transcoding ulaw-GSM...GSM-ulaw fine. However,
over a SIP channel, this doesn't seem to work. Asterisk appears to be
reluctant to transcode and keeps complaining about the wrong codec type.
When does and when doesn't this work!?

Thanks
Peter