[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic DNS causes problems

Christoph Rothe asterisk-users at christophrothe.de
Fri Nov 5 00:21:33 MST 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Andrew Thompson wrote:

> > Unfortunately not. I have the same problem and the same solution here. You
> > really have to do a restart of asterisk. I think the reason that asterisk
> > does not always lookup the IP Adress for the DDNS-Hostname is performance.
> > But it would be nice if a sip reload could do so. Has anybody contacts to
> > the developers ;-) ?
>
> Since not everyone uses DHCP, I expect not everyone will be interested in
> this, but what about a small app specifically for checking for changes in the
> DNS to IP lookup of specific(or any!?) hostname fields.

So you think of changing the sip.conf by the script. Not a bad idea
:-) But I don't see the point in implementing an nslookup on "sip
reload" - of course apart from the work someone had to do. There
should be no performance or other problems with this.

> Note: I am behind a DHCP'ed connection and use dyndns myself. Fortunately, my
> IP stays the same for very long periods of time, so it's not been an issue,
> but I can definately see its use.

You are really lucky. Especially in Germany the Internet Providers
disconnect their customers every 24 hours and assign a new IP-Adress
on reconnect.

Christoph