[Asterisk-Users] Is it possible to use IAXY device to make 56Kmodem calls

Jim Van Meggelen jim at digitalchemy.ca
Thu Nov 4 12:46:35 MST 2004

You couldn't use anything other than the G.711 codec, and the modem
would probably think it was on a terrible line, but it should be
possible to estabish a carrier (in theory).

You'd want to change settings in your modem to allow it to tolerate the
circuit quality, and your applications at either end would need to
account for loss of packets.

Are you SURE this is the best way to do this? All a modem essentially
does is extend a serial connection across a telephone line, so why not
figure out a better way to carry the serial connection to the far end?

Cheers,

Jim.