[Asterisk-Users] real-time-clock & asterisk/meetme/ztdummy in 2.6.9 UML

nils toedtmann asterisk-users at nils.toedtmann.net
Thu Nov 4 07:44:01 MST 2004

Hi *,

  [this goes to user-mode-linux-user at lists.sourceforge.net and
   asterisk-users at lists.digium.com]

i try to setup an VoIP conferencing server within a UML using asterisk
and it's 'MeetMe conference bridge'. I have several UMLs running other
services, but my asterisk know-how is poor (as you will see ;-).

Question #1: did anybody successfully implement an asterisk
             MeetMe-conference inside a 2.6-UML?

It needs a special "zaptel timer". As there is no special hardware,
i have to use a ztdummy/2.6 or zaprtc:

  <http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20timer>

Question #2: is there any chance that either "ztdummy" or "zaprtc"
             will work inside 2.6-UML?

I tried "ztdummy". After frickeling the Makefile, it compiled against
the UML source tree, it loads within the UML on top of zaptel.ko

  [root at katharina asterisk]# lsmod
  Module                  Size  Used by
  ztdummy                 2628  0
  zaptel                227940  1 ztdummy

(no other modules loaded). Asterisk works (e.g. i can hear the "conf-
onlyperson" message when i enter the conference room). But the audio
of the conference itself is extremly snatchy. That _may_ be a config
problem, but a very similar configuration on a non-UML works, and un-
audio, so i suspect the ztdummy.ko or some device configuration is
broken in my UML.

At the same time, i observe this

  <http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Oct/8108.html>

problem within my UML, too:

  # tail -f /var/log/messages
  tail: cannot read realtime clock: Unknown error 516

and tail exits with code 1.

Question #3: is there a problem with the RTC in 2.6.9?

My host is 2.6.8.1 + skas3-2.6.7-v5 without module support:
  CONFIG_SMP=y                 (host is a P4 with HT)
  CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y
  CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
  CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
  CONFIG_RTC=y
  CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

My guest is 2.6.9, with module support. Besides the zaptel
modules no feature is compiles as a module but static.
  CONFIG_UML_REAL_TIME_CLOCK=y

Question #4: Shall i try different SMP/HT/RTC settings on
             host or guest?

Regards, /nils.

host and guest are FC2. I use the asterisk-1.0 from ATrpms
<http://atrpms.net/dist/fc2/asterisk/> and seft-built
zaptel-1.0.2 tarball

user-mode-linux:
  <http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/>