[Asterisk-Users] An anniversary and a lament for FXOs

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Nov 3 09:01:57 MST 2004

On November 3, 2004 10:42 am, David Ishmael wrote:
> So then the system I'm building (P4 2.66GHz) should do fine in the
> encoding/decoding (which I assume accounts for most of the echos, and poor
> quality).

It's not just the raw horsepower, for lack of a better term.  The chipset and
motherboard and even PCI layout all come into play here.  I have been having
very good results with SuperMicro systems (server-class... dual P4 Xeon (only
one installed), ECC memory, SCSI disks, onboard Intel ethernet) but my home
system (unknown P3 mobo, nothing fancy at all) is chugging along just fine
too.

It's a shame that there are so many variables to try and work with but I guess
that's the price to pay for being to the right of the bell curve.  :-)

-A.