[Asterisk-Users] Quintum Tenor DX

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Tue Nov 2 18:28:09 MST 2004

Rana

I have Asterisk working with the new Quintum ASM200, 2-FXS/FXO analog
(the 2-port device with 4-port appearance). My comments:

a. Quintum is bloody messy to set up. No idea where they got their copy
of the SIP specs. Their terminologies are all different from SIP norms.

b. For the E1/T1 boxes, IIRC, they're all 1/2 capacity. In order words,
if you buy an E1 30 channel, only 16 VoIP channel (i take it as
compression channels) is usable simulataneously. If you need to use full
capacity, you really got to look elsewhere.

c. Voice quality is good.

d. Codec support is good, includes G.723.1 and G.729a

e. Has a nice Tenor manager - only works in Windows though.

f. CDR via TCP.

Frankly, I see Quintum's SIP support as a hack over their H.323 core.
You might be better off getting something that's SIP from ground up. I
understand Audiocodes has some very reasonably priced gws (relative to
Cisco and Quintum), <<US$3,000 for T1/E1. I once spoke to a taiwanese
firm Octtel, they have an E1/T1 for <US$2,500 with full 30 channel
compression.

At first glance, the Quintum single port E1/T1 DX3000 at US$3,000, looks
reasonably priced. But, if you take into account  the 1/2 capacity
issue, you see the cost really escalates.

FYI.