[Asterisk-Users] FXO module in TDM400P (UK, BT) - Hangup detection failing

StrUK asterisk at ermy.net
Tue Nov 2 15:58:39 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm a UK-based * newbie with a BT line on a PIII 2GHz 1Gb Fedora Core 2
linux box, fully patched up, experiencing a little difficulty with *
(both CVS V1-0 and yesterday's CVS HEAD). I've been through the
archives and even popped on to freenode/#asterisk for a while, but no
firm resolution presented itself. Last relevant post appears to have an
unresolved cliffhanger:
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-September/
061518.html

I had an X100P as my PSTN link and that was working fine for taking and
making calls, but of course no caller ID (Plenty of "Didn't finish
Caller-ID spill.  Cancelling" and that's about it).

Needing CID for my application, I procured an FXO module for my TDM400P
which already had one FXS module in it (also working fine, happily
shoving and receiving CID info around between my SIP soft phones and
the Zyxel SIP hardphone).

The wcfxs module is correctly installed with opermode=uk (dmesg
confirms this), and polarity CID detection works a treat. Call routing
is fine and, naturally, none of the SIP stuff has broken :-)

HOWEVER, the FXO module isn't detecting remote party clear down events.

Two example cases:

Zap/4-1 (the FXO module on the TDM400P) detects ring because someone is
dialling my BT line. My dialplan displays CID info to console for
debugging and then dials my SIP softphone (SIP/stripes), SIP hardphone
(SIP/zyxel) and Zap hardphone (Zap/1-1).

1/ If the incoming party clears down before one of the internal
extensions answers, they continue to ring (* hasn't logged the remote
hang up event on Zap/4-1) and dead air is heard should they
subsequently answer.

2/ If the incoming party stays on long enough for voicemail to kick in,
then I get a recording comprising their message, pop/click, 2secs
silence, 5secs solid tone, pop/click, followed by dead air (and silence
detection is the only thing stopping the message hitting the 120 second
maximum message length ceiling)

Both of these cases are consistent with how I understand * to work
should the channel not notice Zap/4-1 going down - bully for me, bummer
for operational use ;-)

Speaking with the ever-so helpful folk on freenode/#asterisk, I've
tried loopstart signalling (nice idea - failed miserably where remote
clear down made * think that the remote party was trying to transfer
calls - lots of MOH messages and 's' priority of the context invoked);
I've tried tweaking indications.conf to make *'s notion of 'busy' for
my line match what is being heard as the tone, but that hasn't worked
and incoming calls still stay 'connected' until the voicemail's silence
detection cuts them off.

I can live with voice messages being 9 seconds longer than they need to
be; I can't, though, live with incoming callers that hangup before
anything answers still resulting in the internal extensions being
signalled.

I don't have a lighted keypad, but have seen a deflection on a
multimeter across A/B wire to suggest that the phone company are
signalling remote clear down with a polarity reversal.  I'm told
(again, kind folk on irc) that BT do use supervised disconnects and so
I am doing the right thing using fxs_ks signalling.

I guess my question is: does anyone have polarity reversal hangup
detection working on a BT line with an fxo module in a TDM400P?

If so - your direction would be most greatly appreciated.   I've posted
slightly censored versions of my config to http://ermy.net/senast/, in
case that might help.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark/

--
// if it doesn't go woof when you light it, you ain't dun it right.