[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk refuses to use anything but g729

Matthew Boehm mboehm at cytelcom.com
Tue Nov 2 09:52:42 MST 2004

This is really stupid behavior of asterisk. I have an ATA and an IP phone
that I have set to use 711. These two devices MUST use 711 because they are
for faxing. I have some other phones that are set to use 729. In my
sip.conf:

disallow=all
allow=g729
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=gsm

The phones that are set to 729 work great. However, the other phones do not
use 711. Asterisk FORCES them to use 729 when I have EXPLICITLY set the
devices to use 711. WHY is asterisk forcing these devices to use something I
told them not to use?

g729 is at the top of my allow'd list because I want any other phone/ATA to
use 729 first. But if the device is set to "no 729" then why is 729 still
happening?

Is there some other config option to force a device/extension to use only 1
specific codec?

Thanks,
Matthew